News

Recent news articles are displayed below with the most recent article first.

TERRY EASTON

16/09/2017

It is with much sadness i have to inform you TERRY EASTON passed away peacefully

on friday evening 15th September.

The Funeral will take place on FRIDAY 6th October at 2-30pm.

at the   KENT and SUSSEX CREMATORIUM,

 BENHALL MILL RD.

TUNBRIDGE WELLS,

TN2 5JJ.

Maureen would like Club Members to wear CLUB TIE and STRIPE JACKET (if you have one)

 

A PERSONAL TRIBUTE TO BRIAN MOORE

Brian Moore.

Brian was, in every sense, a true enthusiast who didn’t buy cars in which to drive to the golf club, who may have progressed from the humble products of East Oxford to more exotic vintage (that monstrous Metallurgique) and veteran machinery but remained always the same delightful, exuberant Brian, with the calming and lovely Ruth at his side. It was a privilege to have been at their Golden Wedding celebrations ten or so years ago.

It’s no exaggeration to write that Brian and Ruth rescued the Bullnose Morris Club in the late 1960’s.  Lytton Jarman’s pleas for help had met with meagre response until they stepped in as treasurer and secretary. They progressed to writing the newsletter to becoming presidents. His chairing of Bullnose committee meetings was an experience: agendas rapidly accomplished. My attempts to manipulate rallies away from church festivals (which would have meant I couldn’t attend) were met with ‘would all Christians, Muslims and Jews indicate which festivals we have to avoid ?’.

It was Brian who persuaded me to attend the 1967 Oxford Rally: his reply to my protestation that I was getting married the day before in London was ‘what’s the problem – just drive the car in the direction of Oxford, look surprised, and announce on Sunday morning that it’s the Bullnose rally’. We did. And Ruth gave us a bottle of sherry.

It was Brian who enabled me to buy my first ‘proper’ vintage Morris.

A one-owner, totally un-restored Oxford. ‘Go and buy it’, he said. ‘I haven’t the funds’, I said. ‘Get a loan from the bank’, he said, adding: ‘I’ll guarantee it’. I did. The bank manager asked me if my friend would pop into his bank to sign the forms. Brian said ‘No – get your manager to ring my bank’. He did -in my presence -long silence- ‘you can borrow whatever you want’, the manager said.  I bought the car. And still have it 45 years later.

We met most years, not at car rallies but when he and Ruth came to Exmoor. I like to think it raised the profile of the C of E to have a vintage Rolls or Bentley parked at the vicarage. I will never forget him allowing me to drive the latter around the parish: only regret no –one saw me.

On one occasion, viewing the result of a ten year restoration of another car, he asked ‘So, why isn’t it on the road ?’  It needed a set of tyres, an outlay, even forty years ago, for a 1928 Oxford saloon. A few days later four tyres arrived by Securicor and a ‘phone call from Brian: ‘they’re not new, no charge, stick them on the car’.  It was typical of Brian’s generosity.

Memories flood back: repairing someone’s crown wheel and pinion with Brian on a mountainside on a Welsh rally (we missed the evening meal having taken ages removing the oil/treacle with which William Morris encapsulated his back axles); driving in convoy from Cambridge to the 1973 Golden Jubilee Rally:  Brian in their 1922 Bullnose, Ruth in the ‘Special’, Frank Hands in a Bullnose saloon and me struggling with his 12cwt van which didn’t appear to have any brakes.  We seemed to ignore traffic lights and most other traffic regulations…as I recall Brian did when we joined them for the Brighton run one year – a day when I don’t think Sue and I have laughed so much.

Brian had the capacity to put people at their ease. Dinner with him was always a delight. ‘It’s on me’ he would say, quietly.  But not wanting to be extravagant one would peruse the menu.  ‘I’m having the lobster’(whatever) he would say – it would set the pace. A true gentleman, delightful company. All who had the privilege of knowing him –them both- will miss them enormously. Requiescant in pace.

 

Nigel Jackson-Stevens

 

DVLA CONCERNS From Monty Goding

05/12/2016

DVLA Concerns:

The All-Party Parliamentary Historic Vehicles Group Becomes Involved

I attended the AGM of the Federation recently and listened to their reports which gave reasons for the lack of progress with negotiations with the DVLA regarding non-acceptance of new bodies on cars with separate chassis. Privately I expressed my concerns to the lead officer and suggested that it was possibly time to start involving our MP’s. I was persuaded to wait a while before proceeding in that the Federation intended to have a Meeting with the Chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Historic Vehicles Group but no date was given. I have heard no more from the FBHVC.

However, on receiving my copy of The Automobile for December, I was pleased to see a piece in the Editorial reporting a meeting between Sir Greg Knight MP, the Chairman of APHVG and the Transport Minister, John Hayes MP. The Automobile like me had been concerned that after an initial flurry of activity by the FBHVC, little progress had been made over the intervening months. I rang The Automobile and they very kindly sent me a copy of the press release from Sir Greg Knight. I reproduce it below in full but without the header and footer:-

8th November 2016                     Release date: Immediate

DVLA Concerns: Sir Greg Knight Sees Transport Minister

The Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Historic Vehicle Group, Sir Greg Knight MP has met the Transport Minister to discuss concerns about the new DVLA attitude and their procedures concerning historic vehicles.

Sir Greg had asked for the meeting to outline his disquiet about DVLA policy in respect of those vehicles that have been fitted with new parts, following complaints received from a number of historic vehicle owners around the country.

Following the meeting, Transport Minister John Hayes MP agreed to look into the matter and report back to Sir Greg.

Sir Greg said today: “Just because a historic vehicle has a number of replacement parts should not mean that it ceases to be historic. There is a distinction to be drawn between a brand new vehicle which is a replica of a historic car and a genuine historic vehicle which has been fitted with new parts to keep it on the road”.

“The Minister has promised to ask the DVLA to look again at any case where it is felt an injustice is done and I welcome this”, said Sir Greg.

The meeting organised by Sir Greg, was also attended by officers of the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs.

Press Release ends.

I am extremely pleased that the whole issue has now been brought into the open and hope that this will quickly move on to a position where our Members who are restoring cars but using new bodies possibly different to that originally fitted, will be able to obtain an age-related number. We know that under current DVLA rules they cannot, and the DVLA have been immovable.

Monty Goding

21 November 2016

DVLA and Registration of Vehicles – by Monty Goding

23/07/2016

Following the decision to close the DVLA local offices, the Head Office at Swansea has brought in more stringent rules governing the applications for retention of existing registrations and the provision of age-related numbers to those cars where there are no documents available.

It has been known within the Movement that there had been a number of cases where age related numbers had been issued to cars that were primarily constructed from new parts. More importantly the DVLA had established that in some cases this had been done with the full approval of the particular specialist Club.

The repercussions have been felt in a far wider community than those creating Evocations. For those not familiar with this word it is a description of a car constructed to represent a model other than that from which the parts for restoration arose. This usually means one of greater rarity and therefore value which could in the fullness of time be passed off as a genuine example.  It also refers to cars constructed from all new parts with the same object.

Within our Club Margaret has been carrying out work on the application for retention of registration numbers and for age related numbers for a number of years. She has set up very careful procedures with inspection by the Club of all vehicles and by virtue of being in possession of the original factory records she is able to satisfy most of the requirements of DVLA. However, the Club has recently run into some difficulty assisting a minority of our Members requiring age related numbers for cars where they have applied a new body to the rolling chassis which may be of a different design to that originally fitted.  We have been informed by DVLA that they cannot issue age related numbers to these vehicles although we believe this to be a change of policy.

This particular aspect of the DVLA work was considered outside that of the normal work of the Registrar and the Chairman asked me if I would assist. BNMC had asked to attend the conference at DVLA last September and was not invited. Since then DVLA have insisted that they are applying the same rules as before. They have also stated that they will only deal with these issues through the FBHVC.

I have in the past discussed this with the Chairman of the FBHVC and also the President of the VSCC where the building of specials is part of the culture. They had both told me that they had heard apocryphal tales of cars turned down by DVLA but had not seen clear evidence.  I therefore provided a full evidential file, as submitted to DVLA,  to both, of a car that had a full correct rolling chassis for a vintage Morris but with a professionally built two seater body in true vintage style (but not copying a famous car), that we had supported but which had been rejected.
I am grateful to have permission to report the following from the Committee Notes and The President’s Message (Tim Kneller) in the VSCC Newsletter.

VSCC Committee Notes:

The President had also received paperwork from the Chairman of the Bullnose Morris Club (sic) with regards to problems with DVLA registration and had a subsequent conversation where possible solutions were discussed.

VSCC President’s Message from Tim Kneller, who is also a BNMC member and owner:

In late May Dave Salmon (VSCC Chief Executive) and I met with David Whale the Chairman of the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs. David gave a very candid report of recent progress.  He reported that following a lengthy delay after the departure of John Vale the Federation had now made contact with the new incumbent.  The Federation have spent considerable time in going back through past legislation to demonstrate that the DVLA’s position on cars with separate bodies and chassis is not correct.  This has been enhanced by their unearthing of the Ministry of Transport’s Handbook about taxation and registration of vehicles, which clearly states that a change of body on a car with a separate chassis does not constitute a change of identity.  This information has been compiled into a paper , which the Federation has submitted to DVLA, and they are currently awaiting a response.  The Federation have made the All Party Parliamentary Historic Vehicle Group aware. … It is Important that the VSCC (and BNMC) continue to support the FBHVC in their endeavours with the DVLA as this has the very best chance of a successful outcome…

I regret that BNMC have heard nothing direct from the FBHVC but I hope you will all find the above very encouraging and most welcome news.

Monty Goding

July 12 2016

Recent News From Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs – April 2016

01/05/2016

UK Registration Matters by Bob Owen

As Ian explains in his section, progress on registration matters has currently stalled for lack of anyone ready to talk to us. We are awaiting confirmation of the new structure within DVLA before presenting our concerns in a clear, coherent and complete manner.

If we are not advised by DVLA of their new structure soon, we will clearly have to take a more pro-active approach, as all of our members affected by the current unsatisfactory position cannot be expected to wait forever for an outcome.

Our concerns, that our recognised position as stakeholder in respect of the V765 scheme and related matters has been undermined by the redesign of DVLA’s processes, remain valid, as we have had no explanation of the changes save that they represent existing and longstanding DVLA policy, which we believe to be incorrect and which we consider DVLA cannot prove.

We are in the course of preparing our formal approach for when we can restart. We have continued to work with the All Party Parliamentary Historic Vehicles Group and its Chairman, Sir Greg Knight, so we can all be ready to pull together when the time comes.

Meanwhile our advice to those affected to be patient must remain the best we can offer. We know this is not satisfactory but can see no way to improve the situation except what I have set out.

Asbestos

Two points only on this subject at the moment.

The first is to say that the Health and Safety Executive have advised that they would prefer to treat trailers on an individual basis. While this is disappointing, we have to recognise both that the types and varieties of trailers may be so wide as to defy easy definition, and that it may well be more difficult to identify the difference between historic trailers and those which are simply old.

That being the case, we would suggest the following if you do have a need to sell or hire out a genuine historic trailer which you have reason to believe might contain asbestos in its structure or components:

DVLA  News from Ian Edmunds

It seems to be becoming a habit for me to start this piece by stating that I don’t have much to report and, although I appreciate it is not what you want to read, it is unfortunately the case again for this edition.
Towards the end of last year John Vale, who has held the post of Team Leader, Vehicle Registration Policy, at DVLA in Swansea for some years informed us that he was moving on to a new role within DVLA. Whilst we understand that the two admirable young ladies who are our normal points of first contact will remain in post there will be other changes within the group we have been working with. We have requested details of this new structure when it is finalised and also a meeting with John’s successor as soon as he (or she) is established. DVLA have agreed to both of these but up until now the time scale is unclear.
The practical result of this is that whilst I still can, and do, raise queries on individual cases, although perhaps with an extended response time from DVLA, it is clearly sensible to delay pursuing the broader issues until we are familiar with the changes in DVLA and have met the people concerned.

FBHVC are very aware that there is much disquiet in the historic vehicle community regarding many aspects of DVLA’s current activities. Thanks to the efforts of club officials and some individual members we believe we are adequately informed of these, but please keep the information coming. At the same time we would ask the clubs and their members to recognise two key points. Firstly it is the long established modus operandi of the Federation to work and lobby quietly to progress its objectives. Secondly it is only sensible in strategic terms to prioritise the issues and in particular the sterling efforts of the All Party Parliamentary Historic Vehicle Group should be concentrated on the most serious and intractable problems. Given that we are now aware of several re-bodied but otherwise acceptably original cars that DVLA are in effect preventing from being registered at all, I hope that you can understand that some other matters have to be temporarily put aside, but not, I assure you, forgotten.

One of the things which has been delayed by the staff changes is that a promised report back from DVLA on the issues regarding authenticity, which as you know have focussed on the Bugatti marque, has not occurred. FBHVC believes this exercise is still progressing, but we are currently totally unsighted as to what DVLA are doing on this subject. If we hear more, especially if what we hear is of general interest to our members, we will of course let you know through the Newsletter.

On a brighter note, we recently received a visit from two charming people from the DVLA Customer Insight Group. Their role is to collect and assess the views of customers about DVLA systems in general and the new digital systems in particular. We were able to explain some of the frustrations experienced by our members and to provide examples. We were actually asked for any suggestions about how the service might be improved. Two points must be made clear here, firstly this discussion was solely about systems, not policy, and secondly the role of this group is to report back. They cannot, themselves, instigate change. Nevertheless, an enjoyable and constructive couple of hours.

In closing I would like to emphasise that rumours currently circulating to the effect that DVLA are arbitrarily removing clubs from the V765/1 list are just that – rumours. DVLA have recently completed a routine housekeeping exercise of contacting all the clubs on the V765/1 list to confirm contact details etc. to ensure the list is accurate, nothing more. Similarly DVLA will continue to accept suitable dating evidence from any group they deem competent to provide it.